Maybe you’re working longer hours than you should be or perhaps you’re worried about drama with a friend. Whatever the case, getting a massage is one of those go-to solutions that can help manage stress when it wrecks havoc on our skin, digestion, sleep patterns and aches and pains. Especially when you’re pregnant as well, your body is constantly going through so many physical and emotional changes, but it can be hard to figure out what’s the best course of action for you and the bump.
A Watsu (Water-shiatsu) massage combines the benefits of a shiatsu massage in water and is a passive form of aquatic bodywork/therapy that supports and gently moves you through warm water in graceful, fluid movements. And, it’s been proven beneficial for pregnancy through this study. I’ve never experienced a treatment like it before in my life; it was surreal to be floating and feeling myself move through the water, lulled into a relaxed state. At L’Atelier Aquafitness It’s just you and the instructor in the pool for 45 minutes, and you are asked to completely relax and trust her as she takes you through the different positions and moves your rhythmically back and forth.
For the treatment the team at Speedo kitted out the bump and I in their latest H2O Active range; designed to be work in and out of the water and with plenty of room for movement and the growing belly. It’s super affordable and versatile, plus it comes in a range of gorgeous colors.
Here’s the step-by-step process of the treatment:
- Arrive at L’Atelier Aquafitness, meet therapist and change to recommended attire (Swimsuit, leggings and top). If you’re unsure of the water, let your instructor know or if you have ear trouble, I would advise you wear ear plugs. Your head is never fully submerged, but your ears will more than likely go under water slightly.
- Enter pool (waist to chest height at it’s deepest), and your instructor will have you crouch with your back against one of the walls while she asks you to take a series of breaths in and out and close your eyes. Your eyes remain closed for the session.
- The therapist will then gently scoop you up and support you by your upper back and neck and knees, almost like you would cradle a baby and begin the session rocking you back and forth and turning your legs on at a time.
- During the session she will move you into poses, again full assisted and place floatation devices on you like a pool noodle to help you continue to be supported.
- You finish the session where you started, crouching on the side of the pool with your back against the wall. You may feel slightly dizzy, but this passes quickly.
It’s incredible to describe how relaxed you feel after you’ve completed the session, here are some of the improvements other people have felt:
Immediate Benefits With First Session
- increased range of motion
- increased muscle relaxation
- decreased muscle spasm
- decreased spasticity
- decreased pain
Long-term Benefits After Multiple Sessions
- improved sleep patterns
- improved digestion
- improved healing and immune system response
- greater decreases in pain
- decreased anxiety
- many clients report a decrease in their emotional pain
L’Atelier Aquafitness is located on Al Wasl Road in Dubai. A single session of Watsu is available for AED380, with packages also available. Sessions are offered on Thursdays from 1pm to 3pm for ladies only. Advance booking is compulsory. For further information, visit www.latelieraquafitness.com or call 04- 338 8323.